Lilypie Date is set Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Baby Panda wallpaper

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Shelby's Perspective





































Through the course of our journey, I have come to notice many things. One being that for some reason I feel more at home here in Guangzhou than in Beijing. Beijing seemed to be a crowded place where the people didn't really communicate with the others around them.It is a different story where we are staying in Guangzhou. Except for the occasional sound of a car horn warning pedestrians of their coming, the island that we are staying on is a very quiet place. It seems as though everyone knows each other. There are absolutely no strangers to be found.
As we walk the streets to pass time during the long days, we will see that most of the people carry cell phones and i-pods, which took me by surprise. I expected to see an abundance of people that were lucky to have a meal on the table each night, rather than an abundance of people that carried the new technologies of the world in their pockets. The thing that awed me the most about the people was that enjoyed many things that we take for granted. Instead of watching their favorite television show or talking on the phone when they get off of work like we do, these people spend their evenings taking walks or playing in the park with their families.They spend their time wisely and never take life for granted. These people may not have the finest things in life, but they are fully satisfied with everything they have. This lesson is a lesson that I will not only carry with me for the rest of my life but, will make a strong effort to teach others around me. I can only hope that these lessons help people see what I have seen in my short time spent here in China.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelby,
I really enjoyed your post. It's
wonderful how you are noticing the special things about China- how they seem to appreciate the important things. (You're a great writer!)

Have fun,
Martha